Wednesday, January 11, 2012

geoGirl Lipshine in Pomegranate

To continue the tinted lip stuff deluge...

This is my review of the geoGirl GR8 Lipshine in Pomegranate ($4.29). I picked up this product at Walmart a few months ago. I got the darkest color, Pomegranate, since I wasn't sure how pigmented these would be. The geoGirl website stressed that the lipshines are very sheer, but to my surprise they deliver quite a bit of pigment. Check it out!




 Bit blurry, my bad!

 Ignore my bumpy skin - I think I had wind rash!
L-R: One coat, 3 coats


For the price, I was really impressed with the amount of pigment the product delivers as well as the nice, plummy color.

The product is packaged like a lipstick and has a comparable texture. It does contain mica for shimmer, which can feel a little gritty upon application. But after it's been on my lips a bit I don't notice the grit at all. The cardboard tube is very sturdy and the cap stays put with no problem. I love that with the exception of the plastic shrink wrap and thin plastic tube within the applicator, every bit of this packaging is recycleable and/or biodegradeable. Plus, you gotta love the bees (and grape soda scent).





As far as ingredients go, it's mostly standard fare (castor seed and jojoba oils, beeswax, shea butter and cocoa butter), but I did have to whip out Google to identify some, like...

BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2: A form of vegetable oil :)

POLYETHYLENE: A polymer, AKA plastic :(

AMMONIUM GLYCYRRHIZATE: Ammonium salt used for flavoring, fragrancing, skin-conditioning :)

ASCORBYL PALMITATE: A form of Vitamin C (mostly like used as a preservative) :)

Here's what the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Database has to say about this lipshine. According to them it's lands somewhere in between the best and the worst products out there.

So what do I say? This lipshine is a cheap, natural, eco-conscious and FUN way to get the trendy plum lip for F/W. The texture could be smoother and "What is that plastic doing in my lipshine!", but at under $5, geoGirl did a good job.

Green Beauty Blog Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. The color is really pretty! Although, I have to say, I can't see much of a difference between one swipe and three! Do you find it very moisturizing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think I should have taken a better picture of the swatches...the product is pretty buildable so you can get a fairly dark lip if you layer it on!

    ReplyDelete