Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Wet N' Wild Natural Blend Lip Shimmer



I recently purchased this Wet N' Wild Natural Blend Lip Shimmer in Berry (104) as a pick-me-up on a particularly dull day. At $2, it was a pretty easy purchase for this lip junkie to justify! Unfortunately, in this case, I got what I paid for.

Though I give this lip shimmer kudos for its wholesome ingredients (natural oils and extracts + beeswax) the finish isn't shimmery. It's frosty, almost foil-y, and opaque, too. I think that has something to do with the iron and titanium oxides in it - those are the same chemicals that make mineral sunscreens white! I tend to prefer a sheer, shiny finish, so this isn't my cup of tea. But for someone who is looking to try a frosty/foil-y look, this might be a good choice for you.

The lip shimmer has a medicinal, vaguely minty scent that is not very appealing to me. I think maybe they mixed too many essential oils in the formula (peppermint, cinnamon, lavender, oh my!). And...it's not very moisturizing. It kind of sits on top of the lips rather than sinking in. So those looking for a lip moisturizer, look further.




Swatched next to my beloved Labello Fruity Shine Lip Balm in Pink Guava. Wet n' Wild on the left, Labello on the right.

Sadly this lip shimmer did not impress me (it will be going straight to the circular file), but I am glad I tried it out. And I give Wet n' Wild mad props for introducing a natural/mineral line. Hopefully they'll tweak the formula on these lip shimmers. If they do, I'm willing to try again!

Green Beauty Blog Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. Aw, so sorry you didn't enjoy this product! I tried one and was not incredibly impressed; I got a kind of mauve-y lavender, and it was very shimmery and opaque, too. Which is neat, if it's what you're going for- I think MAC released a lipstick that was very similar in their holiday line, actually (something Sable? Soft Sable?). I think these would do better if they were packaged differently; I was hoping for a sheer, tinted lip moisturizer with a bit of shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was basically a $2 gamble. Sometimes you lose!

    ReplyDelete