Monday, May 10, 2010

Avalon Organics Vitam C Vitality Facial Serum


I am in my early 20s, on the pale end of the spectrum, and prone to redness in the nose and cheek area. I like this product because:

1) It fades acne scars from the zits I deal with from time to time,
2) It claims to reverse signs of aging due to sun damage, and
3) It calms down skin irritation.

The last tidbit suprises me, because for some reason I expected the antioxidant ingredients to be slightly irritating. But with ingredients like lavender, chamomile, white tea, and aloe barbadensis extracts, this magic potion from Avalon Organics seriously calms my complexion.

The shining stars in this serum, however, are magnesium ascorbyl phosphate - a stabilized form of Vitamin C - and tocopherol acetate (Vitamin E). Vitamin C plays a big role in the body's process of generating collagen and elastin, which provide skin with the appearance of fullness and maintain skin's elasticity, respectively. Vitamin E protects cells membranes from damage.

Experts are still uncertain whether topical antioxidant treatments may measurably reverse signs of aging or improve skin's appearance, but for the girls on the frontlines - go ahead and give this product a try! I've been using it for a few months and I feel I've seen results - my skin tone seems more even and my skin seems softer and brighter.

One drawback about this serum is that it has a limited shelf-life and can be a little high maintenance. Antioxidants can oxidize and degrade quickly, so most beauty experts give antioxidant serums a six-month lease on life. After that, they're tossers. You can prolong the life of your serum by sticking it in the fridge or keeping it in a cool, dark environment. To determine if your antioxidant serum is still good, check for a yellowish tint or take a sniff (oxidized serums may have an "off" scent).

Another drawback - this baby ain't cheap. I picked up my 1.0 oz (30mL) bottle of serum from CVS for around $22.50 - Avalon Organics sells the same product from their website for $23.95 (follow the list for full ingredients list, too). Recent college graduates like me might consider buying their time and saving the $$$ to move out :P

I would recommend this product to:

-women in their 30s and 40s hoping to reverse signs of aging
-women in their 20s with a little extra moolah hoping to slow the clock

Green Beauty Blog Rating: B
Eco-Conscious Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment